It’s almost time guys! We are going to make this the post with EVERYTHING you need to know about AJ being on Dancing with the stars, starting from the beginning and with updates posted at the bottom of the page with a date and time. We are going to document this whole thing, just like we did when Nick Carter was on the show.
Updated 11-9-20: AJ was eliminated. His main dance video is posted. The dance-off and elimination videos are now up, along with press media.
Even though it had been speculated for a few days, AJ officially announced on August 27 that he would be on “Dancing With The Stars.”
Get ready, BSB Army, this is going to be a wild ride. LET’S DO THIS!!!!!!
— AJ McLean (@aj_mclean) August 27, 2020
AJ’s partner is Cheryl Burke, a two-time mirror ball champion with Drew Lachey and Emmit Smith, being AJ’s dancing partner.
The team name was ORIGINALLY #TeamGetDown, but it’s been changed to #TeamPrettyMessedUp.
Charles Oakley is a former legendary basketball player and athletes have been known to do very good on the show, so he is definitely one to watch out for, as well as Vernon Davis who played for years with the San Francisco 49ers and Washington Redskins. Monica Aldama is a athletic coach with some dancing background considering she coached for “CHEER.” Then there’s Nelly. Everybody knows Nelly. If you don’t, you’ve lived under a rock since 2000. He might be a rapper, but he has moves and he has rhythm. Personally, I think Johnny Weir might be one of AJ’s biggest competitors. He’s a former figure skater, like former winner Kristi Yamaguchi, plus a lot of people just love him. We also have to think about fanbases because you have the MTV crowd going for Nev, rap fans going for Nelly.
Let’s admit it that we are voting for AJ because he’s AJ, even though he’s an amazing dancer already. People are going to probably vote for Carol Baskin because, well, she’s Carol Bakin.
According to a press release from ABC, voting is different than when Nick was on the show:
For the show’s first broadcast of the season, there will not be a viewing audience vote, and only the judges will score the routines. Those scores will carry over and be combined with judges’ scores from week two, which also marks the first weekly live viewing audience vote of the season (via abc.com and SMS/text) – and the first elimination. The live votes will occur each week only during the live broadcast in the EDT/CDT time zones (but fans in all U.S. time zones may vote within that window).
Moving forward with each subsequent episode, the live vote combined with the judges’ scores will be revealed during the broadcast.
Each week text AJ to 21523 to vote and go to dwtsvote.abc.go.com. Just be sure to hit “Save Votes” each time you make a change to your votes!
“Dancing with the Stars” comes on Mondays on ABC at 8 p.m. EST /7 p.m. CST. So even if you’re not on the East coast, you MUST still vote during that window, which will be 5 p.m. PST.
Some links to try and watch outside of the US (or even on the west coast) can be found here, and here. If you have a link and want to share it, tweet us at @BSBFangirls and we will tweet it out and post it here!
- 9/14/20 – The Jive / “Blinding Lights” by The Weeknd
- 9/21/20 – The Foxtrot / “Ain’t That a Kick in the Head” by Dean Martin
- 9/27/20 – The Quick Step to “Prince Ali” from “Aladdin.”
- 10/5/20 – The Cha-Cha to “Larger Than Life” by Backstreet Boys
- 10/12/20 – 80’s Night: The Waltz to Journey’s “Open Arms.”
- 10/19/20 – The Samba to “Mi Gente” by J Balvin and Willy William
- 10/26/20 – The Tango to “Psycho” by the Intermezzo Orchestra
- 11/2/20 – The Rumba to “Way Down We Go” and the Samba relay to “Levitating”
- 11/9/20 – Viennese Waltz to “Somebody to Love” by Queen and the Jive to WHAM!’s “Wake Me Up (Before You Go Go)” and the Elimination.
- Week 1 & 2 Combined: 37 (6/6/6 & 7/6/6) – SAFE!
- Week 3: 7/7/7 – SAFE!
- Week 4: 8/8/8 – SAFE!
- Week 5: 8/8/8 – SAFE!
- Week 6: 9/9/9 – SAFE!
- Week 7: 9/8/9 – SAFE!
- Week 8: 8/8/8 + 3 (Bonus) – SAFE!
- Week 9: 7/8/7 + 2 (Bonus) – ELIMINATED
Check out our photo gallery on Facebook!
We won’t be posting ALL press here, just the best. 🙂
- 8/27/20 – AJ McLean Joining ‘Dancing With the Stars’ (Exclusive)
- 9/9/20 – AJ McLean Shows Off 15-Lb Weight Loss Ahead of ‘Dancing With the Stars’: See the Transformation
- 9/9/20 – BACKSTREET BOY AJ MCLEAN ‘DWTS’ IS TOTALLY DIFFERENT DANCING … Gotta Reprogram My Brain!!!
- 9/10/20 – AJ McLean Debuts Shaved Head: ‘My Kids Are Still A Little Freaked Out’
- 9/10/20 – AJ McLean Reveals the Conversations He’s Having With Nick Carter About ‘DWTS’ (Exclusive)
- 9/12/20 – Backstreet Boy AJ McLean On ‘DWTS’ Debut & Possibly Exploring His Sobriety Struggles Through Dance (Exclusive)
- 9/14/20 – People: AJ McLean and DWTS Partner start podcast
- 9/14/20 – AJ McLean’s Wife and Daughters Surprise Him Ahead of ‘Dancing With the Stars’ Premiere: See Photos
- 9/15/20 – Backstreet Boy AJ McLean Performs High-Energy Jive on ‘DWTS’: Watch
- 9/15/20 – Jeannie Mai Raves Over ‘DWTS’ Competitors Skai Jackson & AJ McLean
- 9/15/20 – AJ’s Blog: – AJ McLean Blogs ‘Dancing With the Stars’ Premiere, Reveals Nod to Daughter in Opening Number
- 9/21/20 – AJ McLean says Kanye West Peeing on Grammy is Disrespectful
- 9/22/20 – Find Out Why AJ McLean Says He’s ‘Already a Winner’ Whether or Not He Takes Home the Mirrorball Trophy
- 9/23/20 – AJ’s Blog: AJ McLean Blogs ‘Emotional’ Second Week of ‘DWTS,’ Details Bond With Wife Rochelle: ‘She’s Been Through Hell and Back With Me’
- 9/28/20 – AJ Interview on KOLA
- 9/28/20 – Cheryl Burke Reveals She’s 2 Years Sober, Explains How It’s Bonded Her With ‘DWTS’ Partner AJ McLean
- 9/28/20 – AJ Interview on KSON
- 9/28/20 – AJ on Ryan Seacrest’s radio show
- 9/29/20 – Cheryl Burke Details ‘Therapy Talks’ With ‘Dancing With the Stars’ Partner AJ McLean: He Has ‘Influenced Me in a Positive Way’
- 10/5/20 – AJ McLean Teases What to Expect From His Backstreet Boys Routine on ‘DWTS’ (Exclusive)
- 10/5/20 – ‘Dancing with the Stars’ season 29: stars talk difference between Latin, ballroom styles
- 10/5/20 – Talking with Bobby Bones
- 10/6/20 – AJ McLean Gets a Little Help From BSB For His “Larger Than Life” Performance on DWTS
- 10/6/20 – AJ McLean Gets Helps From Backstreet Boys For Cha Cha Routine on ‘DWTS’
- 10/6/20 – ‘DWTS’: AJ McLean Dances to ‘Larger Than Life,’ and Backstreet Boys Fans Lose It
- 10/14/20 – AJ McLean Details the ‘Rock Bottom’ Encounter with His Daughter, 3, That Pushed Him to Seek Help
- 10/14/20 – AJ McLean got sober after hitting rock bottom in front of his 3-year-old
- 10/14/20 – AJ McLean Blogs Dancing With the Stars’ ’80s Night, Admits He Was Shocked by Elimination
- 10/16/20 – AJ McLean on Trying Cocaine Before a Backstreet Boys Music Video Shoot: ‘I Was Freaking Out’
- 10/17/20 – Backstreet Boys Broke Into AJ McLean’s House for Cocaine Intervention
- 10/19/20 – Backstreet Boys star AJ McLean opens up on his addiction: ‘I wasn’t me anymore’
- 10/26/20 – Dancing with the Stars Pro Cheryl Burke Suffers Head Injury During Rehearsal
- 10/26/20 – ‘Dancing with the Stars’ pro Cheryl Burke suffers head injury during rehearsal
- 10/28/20 – DWTS’ AJ McLean Details Cheryl Burke’s ‘Scary’ Fall, Previews Emotional Dance About Addiction
- 11/3/20 – Cheryl Burke and AJ McLean Connect Over Sobriety During Emotional ‘DWTS’ Episode: We’re ‘Both Addicts’
- 11/4/20 – Video: AJ McLean on KTLA Morning News
- 11/5/20 – Video: AJ McLean on Tamron Hall Show
- 11/10/20 – ‘DWTS’: Cheryl Burke Admits She Never Predicted AJ McLean to Be Eliminated Before Semi-Finals (Exclusive)
- 11/10/20 – DWTS: Backstreet Boys’ AJ McLean Eliminated from Season 29 — ‘This Has Been One Hell of a Ride’
- 11/10/20 – ‘Dancing With the Stars’ season 29 recap: AJ McLean sent home in shocking elimination
- 11/10/20 – Cheryl Burke Says DWTS Judging Scores Are ‘Not Consistent’ Following Elimination with AJ McLean
Save these images to your device/computer and help promote voting for AJ!