One of the most important facts regardless of what platform you use: DO NOT LOOP THE SONG!
Top Billboard Charts that include streamed music:
- Billboard 200 Albums
- Billboard combines pure sales, TEA (track equivalent album) and SEA (streaming equivalent album) to calculate the ranking.
- Hot 100 Songs
- Artist 100
- Social 50
- Streaming Songs
What type of account counts more for music charts?
- SEA: Paid streaming accounts carry more weight when it comes to Billboard charts.
- Paid: 1 album unit –> 1,250 streams
- Free (ad-supported): 1 album unit –> 3,750 streams
- Video Streams: 1 album unit –> 3,750 streams
- 1 album unit –> 10 digital tracks
Streaming platforms to use:
- Apple Music
- Amazon Music
What type of accounts count more for RIAA Certifications?
- 1 Track Sale –> 150 Streams
- 10 Track Sales –> 1500 streams
- 1 album unit –> 10 track sales
Gold — 500,000 units
Platinum — 1,000,000 units
Multi-Platinum — 2,000,000 units+
Diamond — 10,000,000 units +
Apple Music & Spotify Tips:
- Do not mute the volume. Hook up headphones (and don’t put them on) or turn the volume down very low, but not on mute.
- Don’t use a VPN. The streams will not count.
- Use as many devices as your plan will allow (phone, tablet, computer, TV, etc.)
- 30 Seconds Rule: You must listen to a track at least 30 seconds.
- No concrete evidence, but create a playlist with the album added to the playlist several times. Add a few other artist in between songs randomly in the playlist
- For those that buy the song from iTunes also, make sure you are playing the Apple Music version or the streaming will not count.
- Buy the song and album. Sales = charts.
- Do not gift the song to people because it will not count. Give them a gift card and have them buy the song themselves.
- When buying a whole album, buy the tracks individually. Do not hit “complete my album.”
- If you bought the song from the Amazon Digital Store, it counts as a purchase, not stream.
- Play the song/video from the boys’ official channel or VEVO channel.
- Use multiple devices to stream.
- Log out of your account.
- Do not mute.
- You can play the same music video 5 or 6 times in an hour.
- Make sure to watch 2-3 music videos of other songs after playing the video.
- You must wait 6-10 mins before playing the music video again.
- Do not refresh the page or replay the video in a loop.
- Do not add music videos to a playlist as it will only count once with both free and premium accounts.
- Make sure the video quality is set to 480P or above.
- Like the video and comment. Do not copy comments.
- Switch the song every so often, along with the tabs you are playing it in so that YouTube will not think you’re a robot.
- Playing music through YouTube Music is the same as you would through Apple Music, Spotify, etc. It counts as audio streams.